Re: Name of databases, tables, attributes and types

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/02/07

Marc Mouries wrote:

> Does anybody know how to get :
>
> - the names of all the databases

  If you use UNIX, you can use ps -ef | grep dbwr to find out all running Oracle instances. If you use NT, you can use Instance Manager. If you use Personal Oracle for Windows 3.1, you can use Database Manager. If you only want to query the current database, you can use select * from v$database.

> - for each database, the name of all its tables

  select table_name from dba_tables (query by DBA).

> - for each table, the name of all its attributes with their type

  select * from dba_tab_columns

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.