Using bind variables for an SQL statement from within a VB4 - RDO - ODBC - Oracle7 app.

From: Rob Rebmann <rob.rebmann_at_londonlife.com>
Date: 1997/02/07

How do I make use of bind variables from within a VB application.

I am building a VB application that has imbedded SQL to retrieve data from an Oracle 7.2 DBMS.

ex. SELECT col1, col2 from OracleView where col3 = "5" and col4 = 25; The values 5 and 25 are passed to the application, not fixed values.

I recently attended an Oracle performance tuning course and was informed that because the input changes the query would be re-parsed each time that the values changed however if I was to use bind variables the query would remain in cache and would not be re-parsed.

If this is possible what would the SQL look like to make use of the bind variable.

I am using VB4.0 Enterprise Edition, Intersolv's Oracle ODBC driver, SQL*Net 2.0 and Oracle V7.2. Received on Fri Feb 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CST