Re: Functions becoming invalid

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/02/07

Glenn Stauffer wrote:

> I administer a system which makes heavy use of stored functions and one in
> particular is required for several key reporting views. For some reason,
> this function becomes invalid periodically and almost always after the
> database is shutdown for backup and restarted. Can someone advise me as to
> why database objects and particularly functions become invalid and what
> might cause a function to attain this state fairly frequently?

  It becomes invalid when the dependency objects have been changed. Anyway, if the dependency objects are still valid. It will automatically recompile when it is called. As a result, no need to worry about it. On the other hand, you can use package to prevent recompilation in some cases. Besides, you can use REMOTE_DEPENDENCIES_MODE = SIGNATURE to prevent from unnecessary recompilation if you use Oracle 7.3.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.