Re: Experience in bitmap index in Oracle 7.3

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/02/07

Chun Cheng wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Can somebody tell me how I can use bitmap indexing in Oracle 7.3. and
> where I can find it in the documentation ?
>
> I have been told that it can boost my querys. But I need some
> information or experience from out there.

  It is suitable for the case where the table size is not very large and the table is relatively static in size as any data insertion or updating requires much more time. Moreover, it locks in block level rather than entry level.

  For more information, you can refer to the Oracle Server Performance Tuning 7.3.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.