Re: Defrag Tablespaces and pctincrease 1

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/02/07

Scott T. Johnson wrote:

> I am creating a new database and would like to create tablespaces
> that are easy to defrag. I once read that setting pctincrease to 1 in the
> storage clause when creating the tablespace will have Oracle automatically
> defrag the tablespaces.
>
> Is there any truth to this? What are the drawbacks?

  Yes. You can defrag it by setting pctincrease greater than 0. However, if you set the pctincrease too high, you will be difficult to control the growth rate of tablespace if you use autoextend on option. Moreover, you will be difficult to control the growth rate of data segments which rely on the default values provided by the storage settings of tablespaces.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.