Re: Does anyone use Oracle OCI under Win32 or OS/2

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corporation <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/02/06

Mark D. Butler (butlerm_at_xmission.com) wrote:
>I have heard some rumors the Oracle no longer supports the OCI
>interface under Win32 and OS/2. Is this true?
>I have been writing an ODBC driver module for OS/2 that naturally
>uses OCI to make the dynamic SQL interface to Oracle, but it keeps
>crashing upon connect. My colleague called Oracle up and they
>told him that they only support OCI on mainframe and VMS platforms.

Sounds like a misunderstanding. OCI is our only published API (as opposed to using our precompilers and embedded SQL) and it is unlikely that any platform would abandon it. As far as I can tell it is still supported on both Win32 and OS/2.

Some platforms may limit the choice of languages or, for a given language, the specific vendors' compilers from which the OCI calls are supported. There might also be limitations associated with the environment in which the application is to execute...threaded environments being an example on some systems. Could one of those be a factor in your situation?

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.