Re: FAQ for help going from Sybase to Oracle?

From: Bill Bearden <bbearden_at_quincy.glenayre.com>
Date: 1997/02/06

Been there. Done that. I feel your pain :-)

I don't know of such a FAQ. There needs to be one. If I had the time (meaning if my current contract gets cut), one of the things I think really needs to be done is a rational (the holy flame wars are a waste of time!) comparison of Sybase and Oracle. I am working with both on my current contract. There are things about each one that are very frustrating(!!!!).  I would certainly find a basic comparison helpful.

Simple answer #1. Oracle does more with views; Sybase does more with stored procedures. Check out the dba_, all_ and user_ views. There are lots of these views.

Simple answer #2. Oracle does not have multiple databases in a single instance (server) the way Sybase does. The same thing can be simulated with what Oracle calls 'schemas'. The equiv. of Sybase's master database is kept in Oracle's data dictionary. The Oracle DD is accessed via the views mentioned in answer #1.

I have a book called 'Oracle Unleashed'. I think it is a good intro to a very large part of the Oracle product line. The coverage of each topic is very thin, but it is a good start.

Kevin M. Haney <khaney_at_netaxs.com> wrote in article <01bc1318$73f96bc0$9787a4cd_at_157.121.8.16.N_MIS>...