Re: ODBC and stored procedures????

From: A. A. Katz (Alan) <aakatz_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/02/06

Feng Huang wrote:

> Hi, ODBC experts,
>
> I've got a question regarding ODBC and stored procedures. Suppose I need to
> write an application with ODBC accessing Oracle and Sybase. We plan to
> develop some stored procedures in Oracle and Sybase. Is is possible to make
> the application code portable across Oracle and Sybase, and maybe some other
> DBMS? The programming language will be C++. Both client and server will be
> on Unix. So I guess I need to find some Unix driver as well.
>
> How well is the ODBC API with respect to calling stored procedures, or this
> is purely up to the driver implementation?
>
> I'd appreciate any help from you. Thank you very much.

Stored procedures are a pass-through application. You can call stored procedures in VdB for any remote server that supports them. I doubt, however that stored procedures are compatible across different databases. Each RDBMS that supports stored procedures has their own variant of a "scripting language". However, your VdB code would be identical for all, as long as the procedure naming is consistent.

AAK [TeamB] Received on Thu Feb 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST