Re: Data Validation

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/02/05

In article <32F7496C.7978_at_nortel.ca>, Martin Nichol <cpa4c52_at_nortel.ca> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I'm working on a project to validate the data in our manufacturing
>database. I need to find out what kinds of tools are available to help
>me with this task. Personal experiences are also welcome.
>
>The database is composed of 54 tables and over 25 million rows.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Martin Nichol
>cpa4c52_at_nortel.ca

While your waiting to get the latest & greatest tools here are some simple queries to run. You need to be aware that these queries will require alot of temp table space (like 2X the largest table)

select count (*), count(col), count (distinct (col)), min(col), max(col) from table;

The distinct is the killer (reqires a sort). Doing this for every column in every table will give you a good starting point for a Data report. Once this is done you can then check referential integrity Surprisingly enough this may not be turned on at the db level (which means it not enforced completly). The count(col) compared to the count(*) will tell you if you have nulls. The count(col) compared to the count distinct will tell you if you have dups.

From here depending on what you data is and what the business rules are suposed to be it can go anywhere.

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Wed Feb 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CST