Re: Delphi / Oracle / Stored Proc

From: Jasper Stil <dirkstil_at_euronet.nl>
Date: 1997/02/05

Ed_P._Hillmann_at_mail.amsinc.com (Ed Hillmann) wrote:

> From my understanding of Delphi's interface with Oracle, it cannot
> return result sets from Oracle Stored procedures. In fact, currently,
> it can only return one set, and it is written in the Params property
> of the TStoredProc component. This is what I have been told, having
> never experimented with it myself. So, someone with more first hand
> knowledge may know differently.

To the best of my knowledge, it's impossible, but if someone has THE solution, I'd sure like to hear about it!...

> Currently, you cannot get a return set from an Oracle stored
> procedure. I don't think this is going to stay the same for much
> longer. It is my understanding that a) Oracle has modified their
> Stored Procedures so they can return multiple rows, and b) the BDE
> will be changed to get those multiple rows to Delphi. I think a) has
> happened. I can't confirm nor deny if b) is going to be in the next
> release of Delphi and/or the BDE. It may be worthwhile to see if that
> is mentioned when they officially release what will be in Delphi 97,
> or Delphi 3.0 or whatever it's being called.

ad a)	I heard rumors about Oracle 8 having it...
ad b)	I think Delphi is prepared, because it can get at the result set
produced by an Interbase stored proc (since Delphi 1.00 on... :-)), by simple means of a select * from StoredProc(param,...)