SQL Server/Oracle Specific Questions

From: aSa <asa_at_telerama.lm.com>
Date: 1997/02/04

Hi,

I am responsible for researching different RDBMS. Currently we are deciding between SQL Server and
Oracle. If anyone out there could please answer ANY of the following questions, your help would be
greatly appreciated.

  1. What is the maximum number of users SQL Server will support??
  2. How are the development tools that come with both packages??
  3. Are the development tools used in conjunction with or instead of tools like Visual Basic and Visual C.
  4. How are the back end databases accessed?? Is there an equivalent of the Access Jet (that ships with Visual Basic) that gets utilized, is the database accessed only through ODBC, or a mixture of both??
  5. Depending on the answer to question 4, how does the performance differences for 50 & 100 users when the database is accessed by the different methods??
  6. We write software where the database will be sold as well, what kind of support will each package require?? Will we be able to support them over the phone?? Will they have to hire DBA’s??
  7. What kind of training will we need as developers and support staff need??

Thank you!!!!!!

David d. Received on Tue Feb 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST