Re: Simulating network latency in a testbed

From: chet johnson <chejohns_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/02/02

Jeff,

I agree with Lawrence. I use a link simulator in my lab, but have found it most suitable for demonstrating to the developer how the application will "feel" to the desktop. By performing a protocol analysis and evaluating the results, you can also look for specific remedies for an application's sensitivity to latency.

The tool I'm looking for is a defensible measure of network latency. Today I use ping (varying sizes). Since, most of the time, this is a low priority protocol my results are easily challenged. Ideally, I'd love to develop or find a mathmatical model that I can use and defend.

chet johnson
chejohns_at_ix.netcom.com