Re: Starting Oracle Web Listener when HP-UX boots.

From: John Pezzano <johnp_at_atl.hp.com>
Date: 1997/02/01

lujo_at_ruca.ua.ac.be (Ludo Joris) wrote:

:I'm trying to get Oracle Web Listener started automatically when HP-UX boots.

:Made a script based on /sbin/init.d/template.
:Added the lines
: su - oracle -c "wlctl start 8888"
:and
: su - oracle -c "wlctl stop 8888"
:in the appropriate sections of the script.
:Added "Starting Oracle Web Listener" and "Stopping
:Oracle Web Listener" at the ri!ght places in this script.
:Linked script to /sbin/rc1.d and /sbin/rc2.d.
:Created a file in /etc/config.d to control startup and
:shutdown of Oracle Web Listener with environment
:variable ORACLE_WEB_START.

:Logged in as user oracle
: wlctl start 8888
:starts the web server and keeps running after logging out.
:Logged in as root
: su - oracle -c "wlctl start 8888"
:starts the web server and keeps running after logging out.

:Booting the system, the boot process puts "OK"
:next to "Starting Oracle Web Listener" on the screen.
:And writes the following to /etc/rc.log:

: Starting Oracle Web Listener
: Output from "/sbin/rc2.d/S903oraweb start":
: ----------------------------
: Starting Oracle Web Listener
: stty: : Not a typewriter

This message is likely from a tset or ttytype command in your .profile (or .login). By doing an "su -", you are making it execute this file. Consider changing the "su -" to "su" but you may have to source any environment variable setup. However, this is likely not your problem.
: Information: Listening on port 8888
: Information: The server started successfully

: Oracle Web Listener, Version 1.01fc5
: Copyright 1995 Oracle Corp. All Rights Reserved.

: Server now running as process 1109

:But, when I finally log in there is no Oracle Web Listener
:process running! When I do ps -ef|grep ora only the Oracle7
:Server daemons and the Oracle7 Server Listener are
:running. There is no process with pid 1109 anymore.
:Somehow the process gets killed.

Is the process set up to be a daemon? If not, it will die when the su ends. Try executing it with nohup to prevent dying on exit.

--
johnp_at_atl.hp.com
HP TIS