Re: Opinions on connecting to ODBC databses

From: Randy Woo <randyw_at_simbatech.com>
Date: 1997/01/31

Chris,

My company, Simba Technologies, provides an ODBC driver development kit. This allows people to extract data from proprietary databases using standard tools such as Oracle's. My thought is that you could provide an ODBC driver to your database and eliminate the need to have to go through (expensive) Oracle.

Just a thought.

Randy Woo
Simba Technologies
http://www.simbatech.com

On 31 Jan 1997 21:29:20 GMT, "Chris Garland" <cgarland_at_nr.infi.net> wrote:

We are being pressured by a cleint(big) to purchase an Oracle development system only because that is what they plan on doing and would like to extract data from our system. We were planning on moving to a different database/language, but have developed a bad taste for Oracle sales people (who would hardly give us the time of day before our client got involved).

The question I have is: Has anyone accessed an non-Oracle database using ODBC and an Oracle front-end? Have you had any problems with performance or connectivity?

Any other comments on Oracle or ODBC VERY welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Chris Garland
cgarland_at_nr.infi.net

Randy Woo
Simba Technologies
http://www.simbatech.com
email: randyw_at_simbatech.com Received on Fri Jan 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CST