Problem creating indexes using parallel query

From: Tim Nickason <tnickasn_at_axionet.com>
Date: 1997/01/29

Greetings,

I'm having a problem when creating a second segmented index on a table and using parallel query at the same time. The create index appears to work okay (No ora errors , nothing unusual in alert or trace files) however the create takes along time and when complete further inspect of the index shows that ther are no 'leaf blocks'.
Basically, the index structure is created but nothing is written to it. I confirm this when I do a

select count(*) from table (which seems to use the index to count the entries). I get ZERO.

However, when I try again but give the FULL hint, I get the correct number of records in the table.

The two indexes are created within the same script (but running the separately at different times seems to have no effect). The first index has three components (customer id, product id, date). This index is created fine every time. The index with the problem has two components (Customer id, date) and thus far in my attempts, is empty (again with no errors reported). I always create the three segment index first then the other (non-working one). I have not tried it the other way around. The degree of parallelism is 4 on the create index. The only thing
(so far) that works is the set the parallel degree to 1 (ie. noparallel).

I'm stumped and the only advice I got from Oracle Tech support is to install version 7.3.2.3 (in other words, he had no idea). If anyone has seen this before (and has a solution) or has any suggestions I would love to here from you.

Thanks

Tim Nickason
tnickasn_at_axionet.com

PS: hardware and os are: Oracle 7.3.2 9 with parallel query and procedural option on Dec Alpha 4100 (UNIX).

       You have just recently started using the parallel query option and have not experienced this problem on

        indexes before. Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST