Re: Power Objects Confusion

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/01/29

Note: My disclaimer at the bottom of this message definitely applies...I am not speaking for Oracle in any fashion.

I just went to http://www.oracle.com in the Oracle Store and looked up the price and description of Oracle Power Objects 2.0 Professional Edition (the more expensive package is the Client/Server edition). The price they list here is $295 (and today is 1/26/1997). The price that is listed for the OPO v1 to v2 upgrade is $149 (this is also in the Oracle Store). If you are upgrading, *if I were you*, I would then call up Oracle and ask for a refund of the difference.

It appears to me that the Professional version of Power Objects does not come with any version of the Oracle7 database product. This may be due to, in part, you don't necessarily need the Oracle7 Server to use OPO (I think you can build applications against Sybase/MS SQL Server).

If you want the Personal Oracle Lite product, you could either purchase it, or download a trial version of Personal Oracle7 from the Trial Products section of http://www.oracle.com, and give yourself some time to see if you really need it or want it.

On 26 Jan 1997 01:01:12 GMT, "Tim Romano" <tim_at_ot.com> wrote:

>I received a mailer from Oracle advertising Power Objects 2.0:
>
> "Build lightweight, replicated mobile applications
> using the full-use copy of the Personal Oracle Lite (tm) database."
>
>The advertised sale price for the Windows professional edition: $149.
>
>So I ordered it.
>
>A charge of more than $220 appears on my credi card, and this statement is
>in the Getting Started manual:
>
>"The full Personal Oracle Lite product is not included with Oracle Power
>Objects..." (p. 1.10)
>
>Can anyone clue me in on what is going on here? What is the "full" Personal
>Oracle Lite product, and how does one obtain it?
>
>Thanks,
>Tim

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Creating the networked society!
Oracle Government          http://govt.us.oracle.com
Bethesda, MD
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST