Re: VB to Oracle Call Interface

From: Andrew C. Moll <acmoll_at_dgsys.com>
Date: 1997/01/29

Jim -
  There was (is?) a company called Open Environment Corporation that built a three-tier toolset. We use it in the following way: top tier is VB which talks to the middle tier using TCP/IP sockets. The middle tier runs on our Unix box with the Oracle database on it. The middle tier talks to the Oracle database using SQL*Net. ODBC is not used.   There are some problems with this environment, but speed is not one of them. First, without ODBC, we cannot use the VB Data Access Objects, which means we coded data grids pretty much from scratch. Second, OEC was bought up by Borland, and I'm sure there are some questions about how long the company will be around. Third, the software was extremely expensive ($30K??)
  We have been doing some testing with SQL*Net and ODBC and DAO and RDO, and I don't think ODBC itself is all that slow. I think the problem is mostly in the Microsoft Jet Engine, and this has been fairly well documented elsewhere.
  This is only my opinion. Your mileage may difffer. Drew Moll
Fairfax, VA USA