Re: Help ! Problems with TEMP tablespace

From: Gary Assa <gsa_at_li.net>
Date: 1997/01/29

>I try to realize a query on my oracle base.
>This query is made of 4 joins concerning about 10 000 tuples.
>The answer is about 10 tuples.
>Unfortunately, I receive the following answer :
>
>"ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace
>TEMP"

Your temp tablespace is too fragmented. If you do a

select bytes from dba_free_space order by bytes;

in the system user, you will see that your largest free block is smaller than the initial extent that is trying to be created. You can try setting the default storage to some smaller value in the temp tablespace. I'd say, if there are no tables or indexes in the temp tablespace, drop it and then recreate it, with a nice sized initial and next extent.

            http://www.li.net/~gsa/index.html
This is my signature file, not part of this mail message.