Re: Informix vs Oracle, alleged trade secret theft

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1997/01/28

In article <32ECC369.16D_at_platinum.com> Balaji Srinivasa <balaji_at_platinum.com> writes:
>Yomama Sophat wrote:
>>
>> (Referring to the latest www.news.com)
>> Some questions for discussion:
>>
>> 1) Who's in the right?
>> 2) Who will win in the end?
>> 3) Who's got the better technology?
>>
>> (All these things matter equally to me. And, sadly, I suspect they are
>> all separate questions.)
>If you look at the past and see the court case between Avant! and
>Cadence Design Systems, it was alleged that Avant! stole absolute source
>code for the Place and Route algorithm from Cadence. That was taken to
>court witnesses called but Cadence lost!. So here with even better
>lawyers Informix IMO cannot do anything(may be just buy publicity at the
>cost of lawyer fees).

It will all hinge on the paper trail. That was how GM managed to win so big over VW - one of Inaki Lopez' lackeys "accidentally" took a few boxes of secret product plans, and got caught when the German police raided his apartment. The upshot was, VW agreed to increase buying of spare parts from GM by 4X. The criminal investigation by the Germans continues... Hopefully, Oracle is familiar with the rules of the game, but anything can happen with a jury...

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>