Re: Foreign Keys and Indexes

From: diversif <diversif_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/28

For one, many foreign key columns end up having very low cardinality, and until the bitmapped index was available, you did not want an index on them. You could use the Employee to Dept relationship as an example. If I had many employees, and 2 departments, why would I want a B-Tree index on the Dept columns in the Employee table?
Each foreign key column usage should be looked at to determine if an index is needed.

lolin_at_unexmail.ucdavis.edu wrote in article <854400901.13454_at_dejanews.com>...
> I was surprised to find that when I created a foreign key on a field in a
 child table that access to that table through the key hadn't improved.