Re: Database creation problem

From: Mike Biggin <mbiggin_at_denr.sa.gov.au>
Date: 1997/01/28

Mahesh T. Kumar wrote:

> I am trying to create a sample database with 2 tables. I have setup my init.ora & config.ora files.
> I am also creating 1 public & 3 private rollback segments. I have tablespaces defined in the
> script,on which I'm creating these objects. The problem is, the process fails in the middle with
> an error message "error in memory allocation- malloc error"(may not be in exact words). I have
> tried creating this database numerous times. Everytime, this error message is generated by
> different statement. This time it was generated by "create rollback segment". On previous
> occasions, it was either "create tablespace" or "create table". I have played around with sizes of
> these objects, datafile and other attributes of these objects. So far I am not been able to get
> right combination of all these parameters. I am starting to suspect my parameters in the init &
> config files. I am using the copies of the default one's.
>
> Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

This doesn't sound like an Oracle problem. It is more likely to be an OS kernel configuration problem. From your description of the problem, it sounds as if you are getting the oracle instance to start (ie: it does fit in memory). One alternative might be to decrease the size of your sga to something quite small, purely for the purpose of database creation.

--
Mike Biggin
DENR, South Australian Government

Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
and not those of DENR or the South Australian Government.