Re: Help on SQL*Net connection (HP-UX <-> NT)

From: oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1997/01/26

oracle_at_echo.ifc.pi.cnr.it wrote:

> I've to realize a connection between a PC with Windows NT
> and an application yet unknown,
> and an HP 9000 with HP-UX, Oracle 7.2.3 and SQL*Net v2.
> I'm a newbie.
> Do I need an ODBC to make the connection

Depends on the client tool.

> or the tools supplied by SQL*Net are sufficient?

If it is an Oracle based product or the tool is written to work with SQL*NET then you will need it installed on both sides.

> Do I need SQL*Net at both ends of the connection?
> Also I'm not sure if the installation (not made by me) is complete:
> listener.ora is present,

The tnsnames.ora is only needed on the client end. You should have a copy of it on the server end though so you can test SQL*NET with a loop-back test. That is you make server-server connection to verify it is working on the server end.