Re: Best way to access Oracle databases with VB4???

From: joe mcdermott <joem_at_bc.cybernex.com>
Date: 1997/01/26

In article <32E4E263.5502_at_hp.com>, xavier_brunet_at_hp.com says...

>Hi,
>
>we will start developments in few weeks of software components that will
>access Oracle 7.3 databases on an NT server.
>
>We will develop under Visual Basic 4.0 - 32 bit.
>
>What is the best way to access databases, in terms of price, speed, an
>easyness of configuration (large deployments):
>- ODBC ?
>- RDO ?
>- Objects for OLE ?
>- ...
>
>I never practiced any of the solutions. So, your help is welcome to help
>me to choose...
>
> Xavier.

Xavier,

I have LOTS of experience in this area. I've used DAO, ODBC direct code, and RDO. They work fine for "vanilla" functionality but none of available ODBC drivers support a FULL set of advanced features. You can code ODBC directly in VB but there is a better way!! Use Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O). We have been having good luck with the 32 bit version including blobs, stored procedures, prepared statements, etc. In addition by using OO4O you avoid adding another vendor (the ODBC driver author) to the mix.
If you decide to use RDO, I have gotten best results with the driver from Open Link. They seem to be the only vendor that has THOROUGHLY tested their driver with RDO.

Read the technical notes on OO4O carefully. The Oracle product has a few performance traps you must avoid, for example the "field" object. If you code VB according to Oracles' recommendations performance is better than RDO and close to direct ODBC calls (but without the headaches).

Joe McDermott Received on Sun Jan 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CST