Re: How do I insert date/time into a ORACLE date field?????? - new to ORACLE

From: joe mcdermott <joem_at_bc.cybernex.com>
Date: 1997/01/26

In article <01bc0762$e2f49340$666167ce_at_glynn-home>, glynn_at_fullnet.net says...

>All,
> First of all, thanks for any help in advance. I am new to ORACLE
 and
>trying to store date/time information in a date field. I need help in
>doing the following:
>
> insert into fi_test(create_date) values ( x );
>
>where x is what I need help in formating. I have tried the following for
>x:
>
>'1/20/1997 12:34:23'
>'12-23-1996 1:435:34'
>'1-JAN-97 12:45:43'
>
>Again any help would be appreciated greatly!!!
>

>Glynn Smith
>glynn_at_fullnet.net

(1) Your oracle server has a default date format. You can use the default.
(2) Use the 'to_date' function.
(3)For programming, I prefer to use the ALTER SESSION command and change the
date format to 'YYYY/MM/DD HH24:MM:SS' (or any other legal format)

The oracle server documentation has plenty of info on dates.

Joe McDermott Received on Sun Jan 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CST