MS ACCESS to ORACLE via WABI on SOLARIS, Help!!!

From: Arthur A. Lehmann III <aalehma_at_inmspac.disa.mil>
Date: 1997/01/25

Hi,

        I would like any information on how to get MS Access 2.0 to "talk" to an Oracle RDBMS V 7.1.6 server via the Oracle SQL/Net V2 for TCP/IP.

This just sums up what our office is trying to do, actually were attempting to use Sun Microsystems product WABI V2.2 on a Solaris 2.5.1 Workstation and getting MS Access 2.0 to "talk" to our Oracle RDBMS Server over Oracle's SQL/Net, in turn Access would then retrieve all "data" from the Oracle RDBMS Engine.

This is our setup:

	RDBMS Server -
		Hardware - Sun SparcServer 1000E
		OS - Solaris 2.5
		RDBMS - Oracle V 7.1.6 w/ SQL/Net V2 over TCP/IP

	Client Workstations -
		Hardware - Sun Ultra 1 Creator
		OS - Solaris 2.5.1
		WABI V 2.2 which has installed MS Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and
			MS Access 2.0

The Sun Answerbook for WABI 2.2 talks about getting "INTERSOLVE"s ODBC Drivers, but the ODBC Drivers that came with Solaris 2.5.1 do NOT contain any MS Windows executable files (Windows File Manager shows no executables). The documentation (which was limited) for the ODBC Drivers that were included in the Solaris release falls real short on explaining how to "use" the product. I spoke to a Sun Rep and he advised me that I needed to talk to INTERSOLVE and order the ODBC Drivers for MS Windows for Workgroups 3.11. I spoke to an INTERSOLVE tech and they never heard of WABI... and that they would probably NOT support any of their products on my configurations.

Question - Is there anybody out there that has attempted to get MS Access 2.0 to "talk" to ANY RDBMS unix engine using Sun's WABI???

Thank you in advance for your email responses/advice and or suggestions... ;-)

ArtMan

: Arthur A. Lehmann III :
: I-NET, Inc. : You must un-learn what you have learned.
: Internet artman_at_inet.com : (Alright I'll give it a try.) NO!!......

: Office - (808)656-1833 : Try NOT!.... DO.... or do NOT!.... There
: FAX - (808)656-1277 : is NO Try... Frank Oz / Mark Hamill 1980
: Pager - (808)288-6328 :