Re: Q:Sorting titles without the articles.

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/01/25

ALTER TABLE titles add (brief_title varchar2(nn)) ;

Store the title in brief_title as upper case without the articles. Add any constraints and indexs you desire.

Kludge up the query triggers to move the Title data selection into the brief_title.

Happy coding.

Erwin Meekers (emeekers_at_luc.ac.be) wrote:
: I've a table with titles and I want to sort these titles without the
: articles (a, the, ...). E.g. : "The Oracle Database" should be sorted as
: "Oracle Database"; "A good book" should be sorted as "good book".

: I store these articles in a separate table. Is there a kind of SORT BY
: that can solve this problem? We are currently using Oracle 7.2, but we
: will upgrade to 7.3.

: When sorting there is another problem : I want to sort special
: characters like "é" (alt + 130) as "e". Is there a kind of option to do
: this too?

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you