Re: Database creation problem

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1997/01/25

"Mahesh T. Kumar" <mahesh.t.kumar_at_bell-atl.com> wrote:
>I am trying to create a sample database with 2 tables. I have setup my init.ora & config.ora files.
>I am also creating 1 public & 3 private rollback segments. I have tablespaces defined in the
>script,on which I'm creating these objects. The problem is, the process fails in the middle with
>an error message "error in memory allocation- malloc error"(may not be in exact words). I have
>tried creating this database numerous times. Everytime, this error message is generated by
>different statement. This time it was generated by "create rollback segment". On previous
>occasions, it was either "create tablespace" or "create table". I have played around with sizes of
>these objects, datafile and other attributes of these objects. So far I am not been able to get
>right combination of all these parameters. I am starting to suspect my parameters in the init &
>config files. I am using the copies of the default one's.
>
>Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

Hi there,

Check your db_block_size, shared_pool_size, db_block_buffers, log_buffer parameter. Reduce them and try your steps.

Also check the amount of contiguous memory available in the OS. I think the parameter should be SHMMAX. Only when the whole SGA fits into a memory segment, you can create an ORACLE instance.

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Sat Jan 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST