Re: Database Package

From: Mike Proctor <mp_at_mg-tc.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/01/25

In article <32E58984.35A2_at_fyiowa.infi.net>, "S. Johnson" <scjonson_at_fyiowa.infi.net> writes
>I created a database package(approximately 4000 lines) in Oracle. The
>server is a Sun workstation and our environment is Windows 3.1. The only
>way that I could get the package in the database was through SQL Plus
>from unix(the Sun). My problem is how do I put this same package on
>a Windows NT Server and in Personal Oracle?
>
>From Windows SQL Plus this many lines exceeds the buffer. I believe the
>max is 500 lines. Does anyone have any suggestions? All that I can
>think of is to export the package and import it again. We were told by
>Oracle that this is not very reliable.
>
>Would appreciate any suggestions.
>
>Thanks
>
>Steve J.

You've been a very naughty boy and exceeded Oracle's code size recomendations, haven't you? -:)

I can sympathise with what your saying here, in as far as some packages just seem to need to be that big, as they don't break down *logically* into smaller units. That is often the only other way, which is no fun at all.

So it *may* not be reliable, but once you've imported it, you *can* from SQL*Plus/SQL*DBA use 'alter package <package_name> compile' just to be sure there are no compile errors, which in theory should mean your code got there, if not, import again!

Another thing to watch for, is the size of your SGA relative to the capabilities of PO to load large packages. If I recall correctly, there is a great possability of a package failing to load because of it's size and the inherent fragmentation of the SGA owing to the block method of memory allocation used by Oracle prior to Oracle 7.3.x anyway.

Also, though I'm by no means an expert on PO, I beleive PO has a different set of 'rules' and methods here (regarding the SGA and what it is) anyway.

Good luck.

Hope that was some help.

--
Mike Proctor                    Database Consultants International (UK)

Mike_Proctor_at_realworld.com      Oracle vision.
                                Only Oracle.
                                All the time.