Re: [Q] User exits and triggers under Oracle 7.1.6 for Solaris

From: Lindsberger Franz <franz.lindsberger_at_siemens.at>
Date: 1997/01/22

Mohamed M. wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to create a trigger that invokes some C/C++ code when
> activated, I am a novice user of Oracle so please don't mind if this is not
> the appropriate place for such question.
>
> I am using Oracle 7.1.6 on Solaris 2.5.
>
> Please forward all replies to mansour_at_computex.com
>
> Regards,
> Mohamed

> Mohamed S. Mansour
> Programmer/Analyst
> International CompuTex, Inc.
> mansour_at_computex.com

Hello!
There seems to be a misunderstanding of the "ORACLE7 Server" architecture:
Triggers have to be coded in PL/SQL - ORACLEs database-specific programming language. Triggers - once activated - 'run' at the "ORACLE7 Server" computer or better in the ORACLE7 Server virtual database engine. They only can use memory and resources on the server-engine. If you want to invoke C/C++ code in triggers, you have to know "ORACLE7 Servers" internal gateways for calling the Operating System and you only can use resources available at the server-engine but no resources at the client. Is this what you want?
greetings from AUSTRIA Received on Wed Jan 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CST