Problems with DBMS_PIPE and Triggers

From: <jshiruru_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/01/21

Hi all,

I am creating an oracle trigger which fires after update or insert into a table and sends some data through dbms_pipe. The sample code is as follows:

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER trig
AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OF column1 ON table FOR EACH ROW
WHEN (new.column1 = 'value')
DECLARE
   send_data VARCHAR(10);
   status integer;
BEGIN
   send_data := 'sending this data ';
   DBMS_PIPE.PACK_MESSAGE(send_data);
   status := DBMS_SEND_MESSAGE('mesg_pipe'); END;
/
The trigger is created with compilation errors(the errors are not printed on the screen) and that is mainly due to the use of DBMS_PIPE. I have all the privilegs for dbms_pipe. I ran a pl/sql script with PACK and SEND and it works. I can also use PACK, SEND, RECEIVE and UNPACK in a Pro*C code, it works. The problem is only when I use it in a trigger or a procedure body. Any help is appreciated, and also how do you see the compilation errors at the sql prompt ?

Thanks a lot

Jagdeep
jshiruru_at_att.com