Re: Barcode Readers

From: Gregg Saksefski <gsaksefs_at_cauto.com>
Date: 1997/01/20

Kathy Kelly wrote:

> We are using Oracle 7.1 on Open VMS and Oracle Forms/Reports on Windows
> 3.11. Can anyone recommend a vendor/product who/that could integrate a
> barcode scanner so that the Logistics Department could perform an
> inventory using their inventory data that is stored in the Oracle
> Database?

Kelly,

We used Norand equipment supplied to us by a value added reseller called Peak Technologies out of Chicago, IL. There are many options you can consider for this and Peak can help you decide what is the best.

Our solution is running Oracle 7.3 on a SUN Sparc server(but it could be Open VMS) and we connect to our hand held terminals through a narow band antena connected to our ethernet. Essentially we have design screens using Forms 4.5 to fit on the smaller hand held devices. The hand held devices do vt220 emulation and have bar code scanner attached to them.

Hope this helps.
Gregg Saksefski
Business Systems Developer
Creative Automation Received on Mon Jan 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST