Re: Problem connecting to Oracle 7.3

From: Rick Brewer <rbrewer_at_netarrant.net>
Date: 1997/01/19

Tom,
There are several issues from what I've seen so far. I've found that the 7.2 oracle driver used with a 7.3 oracle dbms causes some problems. Specifically, I found I had to fully qualify all table columns in embedded sql with quotes and owner.table.column structure. I looked at the resulting sql from the dw db painter and found PB is fully qualifing the columns by default. Changing my embedded sql stopped the errors. Other things I ran into are loss of ability to use the Oracle index hints in my sql and loss of ability to use retrieval arguments passed to dw's in some cases. The dw retrieval arguments seem to work when the dw sql is done using the painter but not when the dw sql is written in syntax mode.

The 'new' issues using pb 5.0.2 and Oracle 7.3, and the new 7.3 driver, sqlnet 2.3.... is problems can occur if you mix 16 and 32 bit. I'm looking at 'forcing' some clients to upgrade from OS/2 16 bit OS2/Windows to either Win95 or NT. Are we having fun yet?

Rick