Re: Transactions: need recommendations

From: Pat Fruth <Pat_Fruth_at_deluxe.com>
Date: 1997/01/18

Steve Howell <steve_howell_at_mail.amsinc.com> wrote in article <32DD0A6C.3F0B_at_mail.amsinc.com>...
> I'm looking for advice on managing transactions across multiple backing
> stores. In particular, we will have Oracle and Sybase databases
> involved in the same transaction, and eventually we might need to
> include other back ends, which might not necessarily be relational
> databases.
>
> Our intial thought is to use the XA standard. Oracle and Sybase
> would need to be XA-compliant resource managers (I believe they
> are), and then we would need a tranasaction manager to coordinate
> the transactions. In reading another post, it seems that we will not
> need to significantly alter our client code, which is good. I'm still
> concerned, though, about performance issues. Also, I want to know if
> there are high-quality implementations of transaction managers around
> that people have used.
>
> Another architecture we're exploring is OTS (Object Transactions
> Services)
> under CORBA. Of course, if one of the RDBMSes could coordinate the
> transactions for us, that would be great too, although there would need
> to be support for future backing stores.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Howell

Steve,

Without knowing anything about which platforms the various components would be running on, it's hard to make any real good recommendations. But, I do have a couple you could keep in mind.

Yes, Oracle and Sybase are XA compliant (so are DB2 and Informix on some platforms). This I know from experience.

The need for a TPM (Transaction Processing Monitor) will most likely be determined by factors such as; anticipated transaction volumes, throughput requirements, and location and types of data stores. One such TPM that does a quite good job of coordinating and synchronizing updates to recoverable resources housed by resource managers on disparate systems is CICS (which IBM is now in the process of re-titling Transaction Server). Adapting an existing application to run in a CICS environment would certainly mean making some modifications. Depending on the complexity of the application, that may or may not be a big deal.

I have been working with CICS for most of the past 15 years and I feel that I can say that when it comes to performance, CICS can keep up with most any demand if you plan and code for it. I have personally worked on systems (mainframe class) where sustained peak transaction throughput rates were anywhere from tens to hundreds per second. Again application complexity and location of data stores must be kept in mind when higher rates are required.

When it comes to performance and reliability, CICS would be my choice. Don't I just sound like an IBMer (even though I'm not).

Although I do not have any direct experience (yet) with Encina Monitor (from Transarc, a wholly owned subsidiary of IBM) and Tuxedo (I forget the vendor just now), they might also be good candidates as well.

Hope this helps in your search.

Pat

(My opinions are my own) Received on Sat Jan 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST