Re: Need Oracle Hardware recommendation

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/18

In article <01bc0170$c658bb00$a06993cf_at_kensan>, Kent Sanders <Kent.Sanders_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com> wrote in article
><mjrE3upL6.J6x_at_netcom.com>...
>> In article <E3qB8u.EyI_at_asuvax.eas.asu.edu>,
>> System Manager <system_at_asuvax.eas.asu.edu> wrote:
>> >I need some recommendations for hardware (CPU (type and number of),
>> >memory, best disk setup (RAID,...), etc.) for setting up a new Oracle
>> >database which will have approx. 100 concurrent users. The database
>> >size will start at 400GB. A Unix box is preferred, but not a
>> >requirement. Any recommendations?
>> >
>> >Thanks!
>>
>With a database of this size I believe UNIX is the way to go. An HP T520
>running HP-UX 10.20 would be a good selection. HP-UX 10.20 is a 64 bit OS
>and I have HP boxes are very reliable.

You may want to double check this. HP-UX 10.20 is 32 bit. It does have some extensions to support > 2 GB files but AFAIK thats all I say when I installed it.

>You will have to use RAID for 400 Gb. Take a look at MTI and EMC disk
>arrays. I have personal experience with a MTI disk array running RAID 5
>that out performed single drives. Plase very close attention to I/O
>balancing. Using large drives to save money does not always equate to good
>performance. You want to spread you I/O across as many controllers and
>disks as possible.

Depending on the type of data base OnLine Transaction Processing (OLTP) or OnLine Analytic Processing (OLAP) the disk strategy can be somewhat different. RAID 5 is good for reads and (depending on the vendor) Large block writes. It is not good for small random writes. If the RAID 5 has a lot of buffer cache then you may get decent performance on small writes with a small risk of data loss. Partitioning the data base so that the historic data in on RAID 5 and the volitile data is on RAID 0 + 1.

>Another area you will want to look at intently is backup. DAT is not a
>consideration for a database this size - too slow. The fastest backup
>medium available is DLT (Digital Linear Tape), unless you want to back up
>to disks. Later is the year when DVD becomes available, it will be the
>medium to use. Look into using a seperate backup server. MTI makes a very
>good one, I am sure ther are others.

Partitioning also reduces backup times since once historical non changing data is backed up twice (yes 2 times) it does not have to be backed up again.

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Sat Jan 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST