Re: We want Oracle for Linux !!!

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/01/18

Checkout

        http://www.wmd.de/wmd/staff/pauck/misc/oracle_on_linux.html

and see if you can make it under Red-Hat.

Nathan Bradshaw (nb_at_ugcs.caltech.edu) wrote:
: On Wed, 08 Jan 1997 12:04:43 -0800, Alvin Sylvain <alvin_at_c-square.no.junk> wrote:
: >Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:
: >>
: >> If anybody at Oracle is listening :
: >>
: >> We want Oracle fo Red-Hat Linux !!!!
: >
: > [...]
: >
: >Altho you'll probably have to have a serious sales pitch to
: >make it happen. Oracle is interested in selling lots of
: >product for lots of money. Linux suffers from a) not having
: >as large a customer base, therefore there are fewer people
: >to sell to, and b) the people who get Linux are cost-conscious.
: >If not, they would have bought Solaris or something for several
: >10's of 100's of dollars. Instead, they bought Linux for the
: >price of thick book, or they downloaded for the price of a
: >phone connection. Therefore, Oracle for Linux would have to
: >be =extremely= inexpensive (read: CHEAP), or folks won't buy.
: >
: >This adds up to a pretty huge "We'll Just Wait And See" from
: >Oracle's point of view.

: We're running 7.3 for SCO under Linux (Slackware, iBCS). It was pretty
: fiddly to install, even with a copy of SCO unix and a licensed SCO Oracle
: 7.3...the DBMS is nice and fast (Pentium 200, 64Mb RAM, Fast/Wide SCSI)
: for the simple performance testing I've done. Sadly, I can't get SQL*net
: client programs to work, they all hang dispite a correct SQL*net
: configuration - I suspect we actually need a SCO Oracle patch from Oracle,
: as I've seen complaints about SQL*net programs hanging by others in these
: newsgroups (running directly under SCO unix).

: I'll go out on a limb and say that SCO Oracle under Linux gives you more
: bang for your buck than Oracle under a mainstream commercial unix - Linux
: (in my experience) is a low-overhead, full-featured, fast unix. Like
: most unices, it simply doesn't crash. Georg Rehfeld's performance
: test is at http://www.cse.psu.edu/~groenvel/ftp/linux-oracle2.txt ...a
: much more hi-tech man than I, his installation worked completely.

: Given that Oracle currently runs on Linux under iBCS, and how similar
: porting to Linux would be (it's a much more standard unix, IMO, than SCO)
: to porting to any other unix, I don't see why Oracle Corp. shouldn't
: devote a few resources, port it and support it.

: People buy things that I recommend. If the shoe fits, I recommend Linux.
: Oracle on Linux would, IMO, be quite a cost-effective solution. If Oracle
: Corp. isn't into offering cost-effective solutions, screw 'em. There's
: actually quite a number of commercial SQL RDBMS' for Linux, a list is
: available at http://www.conline.com/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html ...now, how any
: of these newcomers compares to Oracle, I have no idea.

: People don't necessarily go with Linux just because it's cheap (free) - I
: like Linux because it's fast, supports every piece of hardware under the
: sun (even non-PC hardware now), and has amazing tech support - Usenet.

: -Nathan Bradshaw
: nb_at_ugcs.caltech.edu

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you