Re: Which PRAGMA to use? "Func. does not guarantee not to update db"

From: Curtis Hanson <chanson_at_gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: 1997/01/17

In article <32DF8DCB.46D2_at_telecom.pt>, gilberto.j.inacio_at_telecom.pt wrote:

>Simon Taylor wrote:

>> Can anyone comment on this:
>>
>> When I call a plsql function from sqlplus (in a select statement), and the
>> function is part of a PL/SQL package, I get the following error:
>>
>> ORA-06571: Function F_GET_SCCN_ID does not guarantee not to update database

Check out the "Using Procedures and Packages" chapter of the Application Developer's Guide.

CREATE PACKAGE my_stuff AS -- package spec   ...
  FUNCTION my_f_1 RETURNS NUMBER;

  PRAGMA RESTRICT_REFERENCES (my_f_1, WNDS, WNPS, RNDS, RNPS); END my_stuff;

CREATE PACAKGE BODY my_stuff AS -- package body

  FUNCTION my_f_1 RETURNS NUMBER IS
  BEGIN
  END;

END my_stuff;

Check the index of the above mentioned text for the topic "Restrict_References pragma." The documentation there will explain the meaning of WNDS, WNPS, RNDS and RNPS and when they are appropriate.

--
-- Curtis.Hanson_at_UAlberta.ca (a Motif apprentice)
-- Oracle enabling the Department of Physical Plant