Problem for WebServer 2.0 on N.T.

From: Alan Cheung <awlc_at_dbz.com>
Date: 1997/01/17

Hi Guys,

        I am having real trouble with Oracle WebServers. I have developed a web-site for a Property Agency in HongKong. The Oracle v7.2 workgroup database is sitting on an extremely powerful NT server, with Oracle WebServer v2.0 on it as well. For now, the web-site is having approx. 3000 hits a day. The NT is a Compaq Proliant with four 200 Mhz pentium pro cpu, and 500 Mbytes of ram, which I think is way enough to handle only 3000 hits per day. The site also has a T1 connection to the HK Internet Exchange. My problem is, the web listener seems to crash the NT server once its got about 2000-3000 hits. Sometimes it came out with an NT memory error message saying memory couldn't be read or written. Even if its not crashed, the server seems to response extremely slow, and this happens gradually. That means, once I reboot the server, it goes really fast again, and after about several thousand hits, it becomes slower and slower.  It seems like this is the problem with the listener, because when I try to restart the listener from the service menu under control panel, it would restart and then it would usually crash, which forces me the reboot the machine. I tried to contact the Oracle supporting team but what I got from them is that they don't know much about NT version. What I could think of the cause is that it's actually a bug for the webserver that it wouldn't free up memory after every access.

Anyway, does anyone have this experience on NT version or if anyone could help me out?

Also, because of this, I am think of switching the web-site to UNIX platform. I have been recently looking at the SGI Origin 200 server. Does anyone know if its suitable for this purpose, cause I thought Oracle in UNIX version is much more stable.

Thanks in advance, guys! Received on Fri Jan 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST