Which PRAGMA to use? "Func. does not guarantee not to update db"

From: Simon Taylor <simon_at_microlistics.com.au>
Date: 1997/01/16

Can anyone comment on this:

When I call a plsql function from sqlplus (in a select statement), and the function is part of a PL/SQL package, I get the following error:

ORA-06571: Function F_GET_SCCN_ID does not guarantee not to update database

Which translates to:

06571, 00000, "Function %s does not guarantee not to update database" // *Cause: A plsql function that does not have a pragma asserting that it
// does not write any database state is referenced in a sql
statement.
// Such functions cannot be used in sql statements.

(Interestingly, I don't get the error when I simply reference the function without the package name).

My question is, does anyone know _which_ pragma I should use in my function. I can't find a similar example anywhere....

Thanks in advance

Simon Taylor (simon_at_microlistics.com.au) Received on Thu Jan 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CST