Re: PL/SQL to Fax Server

From: Andy Finkenstadt <kahuna_at_panix.com>
Date: 1997/01/15

In <32db4bdd.0_at_fuse.dynamite.com.au> scolonna_at_dynamite.com.au (Steve Colonna) writes:
>We have an Internet system built using the PL/SQL Web tool kit and would very
>much like to be able to dynamically generate eMail and Fax messages to our
>customers.

>Is anyone out there doing this?

Just implemented a complete system this morning, start to finish.

> If so, what combination of products are you
>using?

  1. html2ps to convert HTML marked up text to postscript.
  2. fxscript from V*Systems (now defunct) to convert from postscript to fax group 3.
  3. VSIFAX from V*Systems (still defunct) to fax the resulting fax document.
  4. 30 lines of glue code written in PERL that reads a specially formatted e-mail message with the fax numbers embedded along with an authorization password.
  5. Standard sun sendmail with one line in the /etc/aliases file to deliver mail to the 30-line PERL program.

If you wanted to email the same html code, you'd use something like 'lynx -dump file.html | mail -s "Your file" address_at_domain'.

All off-the-shelf software. You could probably substitute hylafax and ghostscript for items 2 and 3 above.

andy Received on Wed Jan 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CST