Transactions: need recommendations

From: Steve Howell <steve_howell_at_mail.amsinc.com>
Date: 1997/01/15

I'm looking for advice on managing transactions across multiple backing stores. In particular, we will have Oracle and Sybase databases involved in the same transaction, and eventually we might need to include other back ends, which might not necessarily be relational databases.

Our intial thought is to use the XA standard. Oracle and Sybase would need to be XA-compliant resource managers (I believe they are), and then we would need a tranasaction manager to coordinate the transactions. In reading another post, it seems that we will not need to significantly alter our client code, which is good. I'm still concerned, though, about performance issues. Also, I want to know if there are high-quality implementations of transaction managers around that people have used.

Another architecture we're exploring is OTS (Object Transactions Services)
under CORBA. Of course, if one of the RDBMSes could coordinate the transactions for us, that would be great too, although there would need to be support for future backing stores.

Thanks,

Steve Howell Received on Wed Jan 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CST