Re: SQL: View performance problem

From: Sandra M Stock <sstock_at_cs.buffalo.edu>
Date: 1997/01/14

In article <5be9eq$o94_at_news.istar.ca>, Larry Reid <lcreid_at_web.net> wrote:

>I had a similar issue last year, but unfortunately I don't have the code
>in front of me right now. I think what I did went as follows, but I'm
>composing this response as I go, so check my work...
>
>Since you said you tried select distinct, I assume that you only need
>columns from your employee table in the select list. Try something like
>this:

<snip>

This is something we tried. The problem with this solution is that the appointment view contains some complex logic that is necessary, but rather slow (simply due to it's complexity). When we run it as an exists subquery, as you mentioned, the appointment view is 'executed' once for each row that exists in the employee view. This is what is making the response time unacceptable. The only way we found to get around this is just doing a simple join to appointment from employee, but then we are faced with the problem of duplicates.

Thanks for the response and suggestion though.

Any other ideas?

Sandy. Received on Tue Jan 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST