Re: We want Oracle for Linux !!!

From: Dave Macpherson <dave_at_fifthd.ca>
Date: 1997/01/13

Sheesh, don't flame me for this opinion, but I thought I would offer what seems to me to be a valid concern on Oracle's part for not porting their database to Linux.

The problem is that the very thing that makes Linux such a great operating system is that it is a VERY FAST moving target. You've got developers all over the world contributing to it's success as "free" software and who's to say that a few months from now this juggernaut of change won't introduce something that breaks Oracle under Linux. Why would Oracle want to try to keep up...it can hardly keep up now with the low-moving Unices on the market now (how long has Oracle8 been just around the corner?).

Sure, it could certify Oracle 7.3.x under Linux 2.1.x, but how long will that satisfy the Linux community.

Just my opinion....don't shoot me for it.

Regards,

Dave Macpherson Received on Mon Jan 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CST