Re: Sybase or Oracle? (No flame wars please)

From: Martyn Richard Jones <martyn1_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/01/13

mjr_at_netcom.com (Mark Rosenbaum) writes: > In article <5b9b9b$2u3g$1_at_news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>,
> Martyn Richard Jones <martyn1_at_ibm.net> wrote:

> >> Ease of use?! What have you been smoking? I am a former Oracle DBA.
> >> Working with the O-word motivated me to seek employment with Sybase
> >> Professional Services. Every task is cumbersome with Oracle, and it
> >> just seems to fall right into place with Sybase. Wouldn't touch Oracle
> >> now if you doubled my salary. Just my opinions...
> >>
> >> Craig Hardy
> >> Corning Nichols Institute
> >
> >Okay it's all relative. I think that the tougher the
> >challenge the easier that Oracle is as a RDBMS relative
> >to the overall complexity of the project - I haven't
> >found this with any other RDBMS, and only thing that
> >approached this in the early 80's was Sperry Univacs
> >MAPPER product.
> >
> >Some of the DW projects that I worlked on involved as
> >little as a week of DW and Oracle7 consulting.
>
> If it is a Data Warehousing project you might want to look
> at Red Brick. Just did a bake off and Red Brick was chosen
> by the client.
>
> Just my $0.02 worth.
>

> Mark Rosenbaum Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.

Hi:

Just to qualify my previous comments.

I believe that Red Brick deserves a serious look at - especially where data models are very close to star schemas etc. where Red Brick is very hot.

However, as Red Brick is a relative unknown to our group, I couldn't honestly recommend it at this time.

Martyn Jones
Iniciativa para Data Warehouse
San Lorenzo de El Escorial

p.s. If anyone has any new material on Red Brick that they could send me - then I would be happy to review it. Thanks again, Martyn. Received on Mon Jan 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CST