Help! how to recover user (DES2K) without complete DB recovery

From: Richard G. Ramirez <ou79138_at_deere.com>
Date: 1997/01/12

I need to recover the tablespace TOOLS from a physical backup on a database run in NOARCHIVELOG mode. Can anyone help?

I exported the DES2K user and then dropped it. When I tried to import it back, I discovered that the export file was corrupted (yes, I should have checked just like I checked everything else except this, Murphy's law).

Oracle is 7.1.4 on AIX 3.2. Our Unix people make a physical backup daily. I don't expect a problem in getting the data files but they may be a couple days old.
We can afford to lose all data after the backup. No problem there.

The tablespace has objects from a few users other than DES2K. The only significant is SYSTEM, I think these are the Oracle Forms tables.

TABLESPACE recovery does not work because I don't have archived logs.

I used my "test-test" database to see what works. If I simply restore the datafile from backup, Oracle tells me I need "media recovery." When I use RECOVER DATABASE;, it asks me for an archived log file that does not exist.

I tried RESETLOGS. It fails because the database is not open (it is mounted).

Right now, I can only think of bringing the entire database as of Friday, then export the user (DES2K), then bring up the database as of today, and then import the users. Each of these steps takes hours.

I appreciate any help.

Richard