Re: Need Oracle Hardware recommendation

From: Kerstin Tamke-Guther <guther_at_privat.prodata.de>
Date: 1997/01/12

System Manager wrote:

> I need some recommendations for hardware (CPU (type and number of),
> memory, best disk setup (RAID,...), etc.) for setting up a new Oracle
> database which will have approx. 100 concurrent users. The database
> size will start at 400GB. A Unix box is preferred, but not a
> requirement. Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!

You could ask your SUN Microsystems representative for suggested hardware. We found, that Oracle on SUN makes for a superb database server. They have very nice disk arrays, too, but beware of raid level 5. Oracle suggest to use many individual disks and distribute data files and redo logs, so that you don't loose data in case of a system crash. We are currently running 5 Oracle Instances on 2 Sun Servers and are very happy with it. No problems for 18 months now. The sparc center 2000 might be worth looking at. They also have a fault tolerance option, which you might need. Received on Sun Jan 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CST