Re: Sybase or Oracle? (No flame wars please)

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/12

In article <5b9b9b$2u3g$1_at_news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>, Martyn Richard Jones <martyn1_at_ibm.net> wrote:
>Craig Hardy <hardyc_at_earthlink.net> writes: > Martyn Richard Jones wrote:
>> >
>> > Ken Mcdonald <kmcdona_at_watson.wustl.edu> writes: > OK, I realize that this is going to be a provocative subject, but
>> >
>> > Hi Ken:
>> >
>> > Yes. For Data Warehouse projects I wouldn't use anything else
>> > if I always had the last say.

>> > Ease of use. Clean concepts and underlying philosophies.
>> > Complete and tightly coupled integration of RDBMS technologies,
>> > not just bolted on features. Very powerful database engine in the
>> > right hands.
>> >
>> > I've used Oracle7 on almost 35 Data Warehouse projects, and it's
>> > always been my first choice in RDBMS.
>> >
>> > Martyn Jones
>> > Iniciativa para Data Warehouse

>> Ease of use?! What have you been smoking? I am a former Oracle DBA.
>> Working with the O-word motivated me to seek employment with Sybase
>> Professional Services. Every task is cumbersome with Oracle, and it
>> just seems to fall right into place with Sybase. Wouldn't touch Oracle
>> now if you doubled my salary. Just my opinions...
>>
>> Craig Hardy
>> Corning Nichols Institute
>
>Okay it's all relative. I think that the tougher the
>challenge the easier that Oracle is as a RDBMS relative
>to the overall complexity of the project - I haven't
>found this with any other RDBMS, and only thing that
>approached this in the early 80's was Sperry Univacs
>MAPPER product.
>
>Some of the DW projects that I worlked on involved as
>little as a week of DW and Oracle7 consulting.

If it is a Data Warehousing project you might want to look at Red Brick. Just did a bake off and Red Brick was chosen by the client.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Sun Jan 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CST