Re: DATA BLOCK CORRUPTED

From: Vince Cross <bartok_at_nortel.ca>
Date: 1997/01/10

Wisdom Beauty wrote:

> Any experience in fixing data block corruption?

Try this query to figure out which object owns the corrupt block:

SELECT segment_name, segment_type FROM dba_extents

    WHERE file_id = <file_id from error msg>     AND <blocknum from error msg>

        BETWEEN block_id AND block_id + blocks-1;

If it's an index, just drop and recreate it. If it's a table and it's not too big, you can try selecting groups of rows using the primary key to narrow it down to the corrupted rows (you'll get an error message when you try to access the corrupt rows). If it's a big table, call Oracle Support and get them to help you. Of course, if you have a recent export of the table, you can truncate the table and import the data back in. You should run export periodically anyway, even if it's not part of your backup strategy since it will detect block corruption.

> Please e-mail to jytasc_at_m2.dj.net.tw

Sorry, bad manners to request an email response.

Good luck,

Vince

--
* You morons out there perusing the net for more addresses
* to add to your junk mail lists - BEWARE!  We've got lots of