Re: SQL*Net 2.1

From: Steve Jakob <sjakob_at_octrf.on.ca>
Date: 1997/01/10

In article <852786939.27719_at_dejanews.com>, pchappid_at_superlink.net says...

>Hi Everyone,
>
> We have Oracle7.2 on the serverside and on one of the clients
>we have PLSql3.2 & SQLNet2.3. I was able to connect to my server
>from this client. On the other client we have PLSql3.1 and the
>SQLNet2.1. Since we have 16bit Forms4.5, we have to make this
>client talt to the server. I tried all the possible changes to
>tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora fiels. I was not able to talk to the
>server. Please help me.
>
> Also, I don't know, where exactly it is looking for the
>tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files. I have these files in
>C:\ORAWIN\NETWORK\ADMIN directory. In oracle.ini files, I
>did not see any entry for that. Please let me know, how I can
>tell the SQLPlus to look into this directory.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Prabha.

We're using SQL*Net 2.1 to connect to an Oracle 7.1.6 database so situtation should be similar. SQL*Net 2.1 does expect the TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA files in the C:\ORAWIN\NETWORK\ADMIN directory so that shouldn't be a problem. I have also had problems with connections in the past, though, and the only way I was able to solve it was by setting a DOS variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT as follows:

   SET CONFIG=C:\WINDOWS\ORACLE.INI
(NOTE: this statement should be at the very end of AUTOEXEC.BAT to avoid interfering with a multi-boot configuration)

The Oracle Installer will complain about this variable every time you start it, but it hasn't caused me any problems. This seems to be a quirk carried over from the DOS days and I think it was fixed in SQL*Net 2.2.

Good luck.