Re: Barcode Readers

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/01/09

Kelly,

This is actually a lot easier than one would first imagine (speaking from experience).

There are a lot of barcode reader vendors. Telxon, as well as Symbol Technologies, are very reputable manfacturers. You first need to decide what symbol type you are going to produce and read (Code 39, Interleaved 2 of 5, UPC, etc.). This is more a function of the environment in which this equipment will be operated, and as well the maximum footprint you want the printed barcode to consume.

As far as handhelds or fixed station scanners, you can always get the best of both worlds and get a gun that has a stand, so it can be used in both modes.

As far as input into a computer program, this is the amazingly trivial part. Some scanners have serial port connectors. Or even better, some models come with an adapter that you plug your PC keyboard into, and then plug the adapter into the PC. At that point, your application doesn't know and doesn't care if the source of input is a human typing on a keyboard or a sequence of digits from a successful scan.

On Wed, 08 Jan 1997 14:34:21 -0800, Kathy Kelly <kellyk_at_ndu.edu> wrote:

>We are using Oracle 7.1 on Open VMS and Oracle Forms/Reports on Windows
>3.11. Can anyone recommend a vendor/product who/that could integrate a
>barcode scanner so that the Logistics Department could perform an
>inventory using their inventory data that is stored in the Oracle
>Database?

Joel

Joel R. Kallman            See Oracle technology in action!
Oracle Government          http://govt.us.oracle.com
Bethesda, MD
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu Jan 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CST