Re: Statistics in Oracle server performance

From: Nevin Hahn <nhahn_at_ENTENTE.UHCOLORADO.EDU>
Date: 1997/01/08

d941686_at_sp2 (Leong San Io Francisco) wrote:
>Hello! Happy New Year!
>
>Recently, I posted a question regarding extremely bad Oracle performance on
>Netware, but no one replied... anyway, today, picking up the problem again,
>I deleted the statistics analyzed from the tables and the server returns
>back to the same level of performance before. Are statistics really BAD in
>Oracle 7.2.2? The tables that we have are fairly static so we decided to put
>on them statistics, but I haven't thought that putting them would be so bad!
>
>Francisco Leong

Francisco,

We also observed poor performance with our Oracle 7.2.2 Netware server when we were using the optimizer_mode = CHOOSE and analyzing the tables. We found that performance increased significantly when we changed the optimizer back to RULE. You can still analyze the tables and on a per session basis you can turn on the cost based optimizer but the rule based optimization works just fine.

Nevin Hahn
Univ. of Colo. HSC Received on Wed Jan 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST